TORONTO, August 19, 2023 – And they’re off! Woodbine Entertainment is set to deliver unparalleled coverage of the highly anticipated 2023 King's Plate, the first since 1951. The action begins with live national coverage on Sunday, August 20, at 4:30 p.m. ET on TSN, CTV, TSN.ca, CTV.ca, and the TSN and CTV apps.
Woodbine is also bringing The King’s Plate to Toronto’s iconic Yonge-Dundas Square by streaming HPItv’s live racing coverage on Branded Cities screens for the first time in the race’s storied history.
The King's Plate is the most esteemed horse racing event in the country and a highlight of the Canadian sports calendar. The prestigious $1 million-stakes race, historically named in honour of the reigning monarch, was renamed this year as The King’s Plate following the accession of King Charles III.
Highlights of King’s Plate Coverage:
- Comprehensive Pre-Race Coverage: TSN anchors Jennifer Hedger and Darren Dutchyshen will host extensive Kings Plate coverage on TSN and CTV with a slate of in-depth previews and features along with interviews with experts, jockeys, trainers, and horse owners.
- Live Race Broadcast: With 19 state-of-the-art cameras and cutting-edge technology, every moment of the races will be captured, ensuring that fans don't miss a second of the action and excitement around the racetrack. Longtime Woodbine Racetrack announcer Robert Geller will call the historic King’s Plate.
- Expert Commentary: The expert broadcast team will be led by jockey Chantal Sutherland and Woodbine on-air host Mark McKelvie. They will be joined by field reporter Brodie Lawson and Alanna Nolan who will be bringing a unique perspective reporting live from horseback.
- Engaging Online Content: In addition to the extensive coverage on TSN and CTV, Woodbine Entertainment will offer a full day of engaging social content across its platforms and online at Woodbine.com. This includes behind-the-scenes footage, interactive polls, and exclusive interviews. Fans can stay connected and immersed in the King's Plate experience through the networks' digital platforms.
- TSN’s BarDown will also be on location at the King’s Plate giving their unique and fun perspective on the all the excitement surrounding Canada’s biggest horse race.
- Canadians can wager on The King’s Plate at HPIbet.com, and through the Dark Horse Bets app. Ontario sports bettors can also place bets on The King’s Plate through bet365’s sports book platform.
- Post-Race Recap: After the conclusion of the event, Woodbine.com and social platforms and TSN’s flagship news show SportsCentre will recap the highlights, key moments, and race results, ensuring that viewers have a comprehensive overview of the day's events.